Wednesday, May 22, 2013

34 Weeks

Today's Date: 5/22/13
New Baby Size: According to babycenter.com, New Baby is measuring ~18" and nearly 5lbs (about the size of a cantaloupe .  However we know from ultrasounds the he/she is likely getting closer to 6 lbs.
Weight Gain: +18, +1 lb this week
Maternity Clothes: Of course!  I'm still wearing 2 pairs of non-maternity slacks, unbuttoned/unzipped with a bellaband of course.
Stretch Marks: No
Belly Circumference: 40" Yikes.
Sleep: I get up twice to go to the bathroom but otherwise good
Best Moment of the Week: Two wonderful surprise baby showers!
Miss Anything: Alcohol... especially given my recent work schedule.
Movement: Yes.  It is such a weird feeling when he/she is twisting and turning around.
Food Cravings: Not really.
Nausea: None whatsoever.  Woo!
Other Symptoms: Just a really sore back.
Belly Button In or Out: Flat
Mood: I've been pretty crabby lately.  Mostly because work has been rough and I've worked the past 2 weekends.  It looks like this weekend should be a break so I'm thankful for that.
Diabetes Control: It's gotten better since last week but still tough.

We had our usual 2 appointments last week.  The first one was at my regular OB.  The only thing to note here was that I asked her about other Type 1 Diabetic deliveries and if those babies typically went to the NICU for low blood sugar like Isaac did.  Unfortunately, she said yes, they pretty much all do.  We were really hoping this one would be different because the NICU is a rough place.  We are trying to stay positive knowing that New Baby is perfect and healthy and will come out of the NICU (some babies don't) in a matter of a few days.  Any extra prayers you have would be appreciated for the  expected NICU time to be brief (Isaac was 3 days).

We had our routine Perinatologist appointment on Friday afternoon.  New Baby was not being cooperative during our ultrasound so we only a got a couple 4D shots of the face (and both had an arm or hand blocking the view).  They did not do a growth scan so we don't have anything to report on size but my amniotic fluid was about 3 cm above the acceptable range.  This is also a typical side effect of a Type 1 Diabetic pregnancy.  The risk with high fluid is placenta abruption but the Peri indicated we wanted to watch it for now.  If the fluid continues to go up, then that may change.  Most importantly, the placenta looked very healthy.  In fact, healthier than they would expect for a Type 1 diabetic pregnancy at this gestation.  Yay for that!

We have another fluid check and growth scan this Friday.

On another positive note, I had 2 wonderful surprise baby showers this past week!  The first one was at work.  It's a funny story (and I'll try to be brief).  My boss is a late-40's executive who I would describe as personable, but very much a "company man".  One of his peers (a woman) told him he HAD to have a baby shower for me at work and there HAD to be cupcakes.  Hilarious!  Well, he took it to heart and had his admin organize a surprise baby shower!  The admin had scheduled a 2pm meeting on our ~25 person workgroup (and circulated a card and donation envelope).  When it was time, my boss grabbed me and said we needed to be in a meeting.  I walked in and my entire workgroup was there!  There were cupcakes and other snacks, balloons and and a few gift bags of group gifts.  They made me open the gifts in front of everyone which always feels a little awkward but oh well.  :)  They had gotten some cute gender-neutral onesies, wash clothes, bibs, pajamas,  wooden block toy, nursery rhyme book and a very generous American Express gift card!  So sweet!  I was overwhelmed by the generosity... but Bryce did remind me that the majority of my workgroup is at the executive level.  Haha... true but still so very sweet!  I made some goodies over the weekend, put them in small cellophane bags with a note of thanks that I gave to each of my coworkers this week.

Then on Saturday, we went to church in the evening like normal.  After church (around 6:30pm) I noticed that there were several members of our small group there that typically do not attend the Saturday evening service.  The ladies came up and said that they were stealing me away for the evening!  Apparently they had planned this out with Bryce (who was very sweet and took Isaac home for dinner and put him to bed).  They took me out to dinner at CPK (one of my favs!) and gave New Baby two cute books that we didn't already have and a nice Amazon gift card.

I didn't want any formal showers so these informal gestures have been so fun!  So blessed.  :)

Here is my 34 week picture.  5 weeks to go at the latest... but based on how the data is starting to stack up, I'm thinking we'll find out soon that we have a bit less.

No comments: