Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Six and Out!

After much consultation with friends and our Pediatrician, I've decided to wean.  I love our Pediatrician and he explained to me how breastmilk is most important from 0-3 months as the baby's digestive system is still developing, it's less important from 3-6 months and after 6 months there is a very narrow gap between formula and breastmilk.  This was what I needed to get over the guilt threshold!

I'm so, so proud to have made it 6 months.  I've learned from nursing two kids that every breastfeeding session is one to celebrate.  The task is not necessarily difficult (once you get past the first few weeks), however it is emotionally taxing to give up so much of your body for so long.  You are pregnant for 9-ish months, then to continue to give up so much (including freedom from even getting away for a day) while breastfeeding.

I had been pumping in the middle of the night to keep up my supply and store frozen milk.  This is the first to go, and unfortunately after almost a week of working to drop it, we are still struggling.  I wake up from engorged pain between 4-5 am every night.  I pump just a couple ounces total to relieve some pressure but the problem is that it's not getting better!  I recall that with Isaac, after 3-4 days of this my body adjusted and it was fine.

I've researched a few remedies and peppermint is supposedly a natural way to lower milk supply.  I bought some peppermints and are hoping they work!

With Isaac, I stored ~750 ounces of milk.  This time, I have well over 1000 ounces!  I am planning to mix 50/50 with formula until it is gone so should last at least another 3 months once we are completely weaned.

Hooray for a light at the end of the tunnel!  So excited to wear normal bras, have my shirts fit again and get out of the house for more than 3-4 hours at a time!  In addition, I'm pretty sure I would drop-kick the breastpump over the fence if it wasn't worth $100+ on eBay!  Ha!
1
1000+ ounces in 5 ounce bags!

1 comment:

Hanna said...

You may've read this, but I hear putting cabbage leaves in your bra helps with the milk supply decrease. Had several people tell me that though I never had to try it.