Monday, July 1, 2013

Hayden is 1 Week Old!

On Saturday, Hayden turned 1 week old!  I'm pretty sure that was the fastest week of my life!

Here are a few updates on how our girl is doing:

  • Today (Monday) she weighed in at 7 lbs 15 oz. at the Pediatrician.  It is still 8 oz below her birth weight but up 4 oz from when we left the hospital.  I've been told it's normal for c-section babies to lose a lot more weight in fluid since it's not squeezed out from a normal delivery (sorry for the visual).
  • She is eating every 3 hours and seems to be getting on a schedule.  She eats at 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, 10pm and only once at night (~3 am).  
  • We had one rough night right after week came home, but otherwise she sleeps soundly at night and only wakes to eat.
  • I didn't post about it, but breastfeeding has been rough.  She latched on immediately in the hospital but something was wrong because she did quite a bit of "damage" and wasn't getting much to eat.  I ended up having to pump for 3 days straight to heal.  Now that I am better I am trying to feed her the conventional way so she has been learning how to do that again.  Ugh, I can't wait to be done breastfeeding someday!
  • Because of the issues with feeding, she was jaundice for quite a while.  She stayed below the threshold that would trigger the light therapy, but just barely.  Her color is much better now and we are glad to have that past us.
  • She is such a calm baby!  Isaac was calm as well but not like this.  She only fusses if she is hungry.  I know this is normal for a 1 week old (if they are super fussy then something is likely wrong) so we are going to enjoy it while it lasts.  :)
  • She can sleep through anything!  I also know this will likely change, but the girl can sleep through Isaac running and screaming through the house, vacuuming right next to the pack n' play, bright lights... well, just about anything!
  • Isaac has been a sweetheart.  We didn't know how he would adjust but has done well.  He likes to help so we've learned giving him a task to help with Hayden helps keep him feeling involved.
  • I am feeling much, much better.  I haven't taken any narcotic painkillers since Friday morning and today I haven't taken anything (not even ibuprofen).  I'm thankful that worst seems to have past.
  • I got the courage to weigh myself this morning and was pleasantly surprised to only be up 6 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight.  I had lost so much weight after Isaac that I'm currently even with my pre-Isaac weight but +6 lbs from my post-Isaac weight.  I know I'm still losing some water since I'm still kind of sweaty at times and go to the bathroom a lot.  Hopefully a few more pounds will come off in water.  I haven't tried to put on any pre-pregnancy jeans, but am wearing pre-pregnancy skirts and not feeling too squished.
  • Bryce's family left early Friday morning, so we had 3 days by ourselves.  It went surprisingly well.  My Dad is here now and has been really helpful keeping Isaac entertained during feedings.
  • So far, adding a second child has been a slight adjustment but nothing compared with going from zero to one child.  We are so much more confident in what we are doing and the whole thing feels much more natural.
I am still in awe that we have a girl.  I had mentally prepared myself for all boys so am still adjusting.  I would have been happy with all boys but I really wanted a girl (I've never really said that to anyone other than Bryce)!  :)

Here is a sweet picture of our girlie girl.  We had a block party to say farewell to some military neighbors that are moving.  It was her first outing in public so we decided to dress up a bit.  :)  My friend, Dena, got her this cute outfit.  Adorable!  Thanks, Dena!

No comments: