Friday, March 1, 2013

Contentment

The other night after Isaac went to bed, Bryce and I were just hanging out and I brought up the subject of contentment.  I mentioned to Bryce that I had really been feeling a growing level of contentment over the past few months... and much to my surprise he said he had been feeling the same way.  We both feel an overwhelming satisfaction with life in general, where our lives have been, where they are, and where (we think but really don't know) they are going.

We started talking about where this came from.  We suggested several different areas that have probably contributed (marriage/Isaac/Baby #2/health/friends/work/money are all in a good place) but we both agreed that the largest contribution has been our Small Group we joined last fall.  We are so blessed to have joined such a wonderful group of families who push us and demonstrate to us a level of commitment to their relationship and growth in the Lord that we have not experienced to our recollection.

It also got us talking about what is contentment?  We felt there are moments of contentment (ex: that wonderful feeling snuggling up in bed with Isaac on a Saturday morning and thinking nothing can be better than this!) then there is the deeper contentment that is hard to explain in words but just leaves you feeling continuously full and not thinking about the next thing needed to be happy.  At the same time there are moments of discontent but thinking back they don't seem to steer the ship differently.

Does contentment mean life is perfect in all ways?  I hope not... my house is rarely clean... my car hasn't been washed in 6 months... we are so rushed in the morning Isaac usually eats breakfast in the car... we usually end up finding our clothes to wear out of a pile of clean clothes on our bedroom floor that have needed folding for the last 3 days... but I am still growing more happy and satisfied with life despite these imperfections.

It's also got me thinking about how to sustain contentment?  Can this deep rooted feeling of contentment possibly turn complacent?  How do we ensure we continue to grow and remain in this state (or even stronger!)?

One of the ladies in our group sent out an email with this verse at the bottom (coincidentally, it was the same evening or maybe the next day after Bryce and I talked).  It really just seemed to fit perfectly.

"Surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not your harm, to give you a future with hope."
Jeremiah 29:11

I know... I know... deep stuff.  Not just my typical "here's-a-picture-of-my-adorable-2-yr-old".  Which don't get me wrong I still love to post about but this was such a big thought on my mind this week it was worthy of a special post.  ;)  We continue to be thankful for the wonderful blessings of contentment and pray that we continue to follow the path that had lead us here.

No comments: