Wednesday, February 20, 2013

21 Weeks

Today's Date: 2/20/13
Weight Gain: +9 lbs
Maternity Clothes: Yep
Stretch Marks: Nope
Sleep: Just the normal getting up to go to the bathroom, but otherwise great.
Best Moment of the Week: Bryce surprised me with a babysitter, dinner reservations and movie tickets for Saturday night.  We hadn't been on a date since around Christmas so it was nice surprise to get out and about just two of us!  So sweet!
Miss Anything: Wearing cute (non-maternity) clothes.
Movement: Yep!  Lots and lots.
Food Cravings: Nothing much this week.
Nausea: Still feeling GREAT!  I'm so thankful!
Other Symptoms: I have been SO thirsty.  I remember being thirsty with Isaac but I swear it's worse this time.
Belly Button In or Out: In, but starting to flatten a little.
Mood: Great!
Diabetes Control: After my adjustments we are doing pretty well again.

I've been getting many questions from co-workers about what my pregnancy management is like with Type 1 Diabetes.  So, for anyone interested that reads this... here you go!

Until the baby reaches viability (~23 weeks) it's about the same as a normal pregnancy except I see my Endocrinologist more frequently than normal so we keep a close watch on my Diabetes.  The thought is that if something goes wrong, there really isn't anything that can be done since the baby isn't viable, so we wait and see.

Around 20-22 weeks, the baby gets a screen from a Pediatric Cardiologist since the highest risk for a baby born from a Type 1 diabetic mother is congenital heart conditions.  (BTW... we had that screen this week and Baby received a clean bill of health!  Hooray!).  When the baby hits ~viability thats when the fun starts....

We are about there now and already I've got a Perinatologist (aka: High Risk OB) appt on the calendar (every ~2 weeks) as well as my regular OB (~2 weeks).  Then when I hit ~28-30 weeks both appts become weekly until delivery.  The OB appt is typically short (~1 hr) but the Perinatologist takes about 1/2 a day.  Seriously.  Thankfully I work for arguably one of the best employers for flexibility in things like this and I don't have to keep track of my hours for these appts and take personal time or whatever most employers require.  As long as I get my work done no one cares.

Finally, the last month or so the baby's size is tracked very closely and will be delivered at the point when the baby is on the verge of being too big.  Since I'll have a repeat c-section it's a little less of a concern but the Dr's expect my preeclampsia to show it's face again so I'll probably deliver early again anyway.

So, lots of fun spent in the Dr's offices but it's all worth it when you get to hold your perfect little baby. :)

21 week picture!

No comments: