Sunday, January 29, 2012

Olympic Trials

The day before I ran the marathon, Houston hosted the Olympic Marathon Trials.  The top 3 men and top 3 women would be running for the USA in the London Olympics!

You had to qualify to run in the trials.  2:40 for women and 2:20 (I think) for men.  Seriously fast!  Thats like a 6 min mile for 26.2 miles!

We had to go downtown to pickup our race packets for Sunday so we went early and enjoyed watching about 30 minutes of the trials.  We got to see the women pass through to their 3 lap of the course and we got to see the men finish!

I'm not familiar with all the olympic runners but I knew Ryan Hall, Shalane Flanagan, Kara Goucher and Deena Kastor.  I was definitely a little star-struck seeing them in person.  :)

I took a couple pictures of the runners.  They didn't turn out great but you get the idea.

When the men were on their final lap, several men in the Army lined up down the home stretch.  Closer to the finish line, Marine's were lined up.  It was really cool to see.  The crowd support was great, too!

In the pack of 3, Shalane is in the middle and Kara in the back (blue tops).  Fun fact: Kara Goucher has a son about a week older than Isaac.  What an inspiration!

Ryan Hall
 

The winner of the men's trial.  I can't remember his name but came down the home stretch waiving a US flag and going nuts.  It was awesome!

No comments: