Saturday, April 9, 2011

Back to Life, Back to Reality

You know you sang the tune in your head... right?  :)

This week was my first week back at work.  It is a big adjustment, but overall it was a great week.  I'm pretty much going to be tired all the time from now on, but sleep is now a tradeoff with exercise.

My days start at about 5am.  I get up, go for a run, shower/get ready, feed Isaac at 6:30, leave for work around 6:50.  I was hoping to leave for work quite a bit earlier, but pumping takes forever.  It takes longer to pump in the morning than to just feed him.

I blocked my calendar during the day between 10-11am and 3-4 pm so I can pump.  The first few days I had a tough time letting down, but has gotten much better.  So far I am able to pump enough to fill his bottles for the next day (~7 oz during each pumping session).  I haven't had to use any of my ~750 oz in the deep freeze.

I get home between 5-6pm.  Isaac goes to bed at 7pm so that has been the hardest part.  I'm used to spending all day with him, now I get to spend 1-2 hours.  We start our bedtime routine at around 7 (bath, feeding) and have him in bed by ~7:45pm.

After he is in bed, Bryce and I usually do a few minutes of picking up and getting ready for the next day then we relax together from about 8-9 pm then go to bed.

On Friday (last night), we tried to be crazy and stay up "late"!!  We fell asleep on the couch by 9:30 then woke up and went to bed at 10.  HA!!

I "slept in" to 5:45 this morning and got up, pumped and went for a 9 mile run.  When I got back Bryce was just finishing up feeding Isaac.  I'm excited to spend all weekend with our little family!

Like I said, it is a big adjustment but we are doing well so far.  During my leave of absence I made a commitment to do a better job of delegating when I get back.  So far so good.  We had a small crisis on Wednesday/Thursday... I was able to stay involved but delegate most of the follow-ups and I just managed the message/communication  Doing this allowed me to leave on time that day despite the issues.  Why didn't I do this before???  :)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Way to go, Kim! I'm headed back to work in May ... I hope it goes as well for me my first week! So fun to keep up with you guys on your blog ... Isaac is such a cutie!