Friday, December 3, 2010

2 Months

Yesterday, Isaac turned 2 months old! So hard to believe it's been that long already.

Some friends from church recently had a baby and when I looked at the Facebook pictures, I already can't believe Isaac was about that small just a few weeks ago.

Here are the stats from our Pediatrician appointment on Tuesday:

Length: 22.5" (50th percentile)
Weight: 11 lbs 15 oz (50th percentile)

He also got his normal 2 month vaccinations. Cry my eyes out! Imagine a giant needle plunging at a 90 deg angle into your kid's thigh! He cried and cried during the 3 shots but forgot about them as soon as we put him in his carseat. When he woke up from a nap later that day, he was kicking and trying to "play" but every time he kicked he would sort of wimper/cry. I gave him some infant tylenol drops which seemed to help.

Here are some updates from the past month:
  • Early into the second month, we got into a scheduled routine (BabyWise)which has helped a lot. He was always a good night sleeper even before the routine, but this has helped us plan our days better and make it easier to get out of the house.
  • The little stinker is not a very good napper. In the 3 hour cycles we do everyday, I put him down for a nap after 1-2 hours of awake time. He just lays in the crib, wide awake, not making any noise (I watch him on the video monitor). He usually falls asleep the last 15-20 minutes. Everyone comments we're lucky he doesn't cry, but I wish he would sleep!
  • Nighttime sleeping is about the same. He goes to bed between 8-8:30 pm and usually wakes up hungry around 3 am. We had a couple days where he slept until 4:45am but they haven't been consistent.
  • The breastfeeding thing has gotten significantly easier. I didn't feel like I had it down until about 6 weeks. Hardest emotional rollercoaster I've ever had... but after many tears and persistence we've finally got it going well. Since he was bottle fed in the NICU, by the time I got to try to breastfeed him, he was already eating 2+ oz. It also took about 6 weeks for my supply to catch up to his demand so until we reached that point we had to supplement with formula often. I'm happy to say, we've been exclusively on breastmilk for 3 weeks now. Woohoo!
  • He rolled over a week before Thanksgiving! We had him on his tummy and all of a sudden... plop!... he rolled on his back! He loves to roll over now and I can hardly get him to stay on his tummy.
  • He's been pretty stingy with the smiles and until recently I haven't counted them as "real" smiles since they haven't appeared to be intentional (ie: he smiles with his eyes closed). However just a couple days ago (12/1) we got our first real, intentional, "gummy" smile. Bryce was shaking a light-up toy in the evening and *voila* he did it! About 10 minutes later he did it again when Bryce was playing the "little piggies" with his toes. :) Too cute.
Mommy stats/milestones:
  • Remaining baby weight: ~5 lbs (which will NOT seem to budge no matter how hard I try!)
  • I was finally able to button my jeans this month
  • I started running again and ran my first race (5k) on Thanksgiving. I ran it in an embarrassing 34:18 and had to walk twice, but I did it!
  • I left Isaac for ~7 hours to go to the Nutcracker market with a friend. Bryce stayed with him alone all day and did great. :)
  • Bryce and I went on our first "date" since Isaac was born. Our friend, Laura, watched him for a couple hours while we saw Harry Potter 7 at the dinner theater. It wasn't as hard to leave him as I anticipated and he seemed to get along fine.
A few cute pictures from our "photoshoot":




No comments: