Monday, August 16, 2010

Stupid Lottery!


I have ran in the Houston Marathon or Half Marathon for 4 years. The first year I ran the race sold out in December (registration opened in July). This past year, the half marathon sold out in just 18 hours!

To help make the registration more "fair", they decided to make it a lottery system. This means you have 2 weeks to "register", then the runners will be selected by random draw and notified. Personally, I think "fair" is waking up at 2am to register as soon as it opens... like we did last year.

The good news is that Bryce and I got into the Half Marathon. The bad news is that I'm not all that excited about it because my 2 favorite running buddies didn't get in!! It just won't be the same running without Sarah and Laura. They are probably going to sign up for San Antonio, Dallas or Austin... maybe I can be a rockstar and run Austin in February so I can do a race with at least one of them.

Oh, and yes before you think I'm crazy for running a half marathon in January... yes, I'm crazy. :) I know it's going to be tough and right now I think my "goal" time will be less than 3 hours (over 1 hour slower than my PR). I can't help but laugh at myself... it's going to be interesting trying to run a half marathon 3 months have giving birth, but I'm up for the challenge. :)

2 comments:

Laura said...

I am one of your favorite running buddies?!?!? Thanks for offering a bit of brightness in the midst of my sadness. :)

Laura

The Acord Family said...

I think the lottery stinks! Glad you guys got in but so many good runners who want to run didn't :(

Be patient with yourself and your body after having precious Issac. It takes awhile to adjust to the changes, lack of sleep etc. I wish you all the best and if anyone can run a half marathon after 3 months of having a baby it is you!