About 6 months ago, I was trying to decide whether to run the full marathon or the half marathon. I was coming off of a stress fracture so decided this would be the year of the half... a fast half.
My original goal was to beat 2 hours, but then as the season went forward and I got faster that original goal was not good enough. It went from 2 hours, to 1:58, to 1:55, then 1:53. I'd demonstrated a couple times a 1:55 with ease, so figured, hey! why not 1:53?
On race day I did what you are NEVER SUPPOSED TO DO! I changed things. Instead of eating a granola bar, I ate a cliff bar. Which is bad news for diabetics when you don't take anymore insulin for 3x's the carbohydrates.
Long story short, I felt GREAT the first half of the race... was on pace for a 1:52. Then about mile 7-ish the high blood sugar kicked in. I felt nausea and almost tossed my cookies on the side of the course at mile 9. At the end of the race, I check my blood sugar and it was 406!! (Should be 70-150). No WONDER I felt so bad!
It was a bummer of a race and I was disappointed, but ended up with a 1:58:31. I beat my original goal, but not consecutive goals. Oh well, there's always next time. Just for fun, here are my paces throughout the race... and picture taken around mile 6.
Mile 1: 8:36
Mile 2: 8:42
Mile 3: 8:41
Mile 4: 8:33
Mile 5: 8:35
Mile 6: 8:47
Mile 7: 9:00
Mile 8: 9:04
Mile 9: 9:20 (Yikes!)
Mile 10: 9:23
Mile 11: 9:13
Mile 12: 9:19
Mile 13: 9:05
Mile 13.1: 8:56



1 comment:
YEA KIM! what a star you are!
~Katie B.
Post a Comment