Friday, August 30, 2013

Master Bedroom Facelift

I'm starting to sound like a broken record when I say that yet another room in our house was in need of a major facelift when we bought this house.  Amazing how much work is needed on a $600k house, right?  Only in NoVA...

We've had our master done for a few months but am just now getting to write on it.

Here are the before pictures from when we bought the house.  I look at these pictures and sometimes am surprised we bought this house.  Since future homes will likely be back in Texas where you get much more for your money, we are NEVER going to buy another fixer-upper.  Period!

As ugly as this room was originally, I saw potential.  It was a large room, with lots of natural light and beautiful floors.  Those things are expensive (and sometimes impossible) to change, cosmetic changes are not.




It took nearly a year for us to touch this room.  I can't believe I lived with these dingy green walls, temporary paper blinds (since the floral curtains had to go immediately) and weird chandelier thing that long!

We made the following improvements:
  • Completed gutted our master bath (which you can read about here) that brought out the wall by the double doors about 6'.  I can't believe how large the bedroom was with such a small bath.  What a waste of space!
  • Filled in at least 50 previous nail holes in the walls and painted the room.  We also had the bathroom contractor paint the bedroom ceiling.  You can't tell from the original photos but it was very dingy.
  • Replaced the chandelier with a flush-mount and replaced the ceiling fan.
  • Rewired the ceiling fan to operate from a wall switch rather than pulling chains.
  • Changed out the almond colored light switches and electrical outlets.
  • Changed out the brass door knobs with oil-rubbed bronze (did this in the entire house).
  • New window treatments (roman blinds and white sheer curtains that I made).
  • Hung our TV on the wall.  This was a major disappointment.  We went to run the cables behind the wall and since it was an exterior wall there is a large horizontal support beam in the wall so we couldn't do it.  Of course we figured this out after we cut a hole in the wall.  :(  Whoops.
  • New bedding, lamps and an accent chair.
Voila!  Much better.  I still have a few accents pillows that I would like to do (likely in yellow) but haven't gotten to those yet.

My wish list also includes new furniture.  Our existing furniture is very nice.  It is from Ethan Allen and was from when I was in high school.  It's in great condition but is nearly 20 years old and I'd like something a little more current while keeping this in our guest room.  Someday...

And now the finished product!  My obsession with grey continues.  Much better, don't you think?  :)






No comments: