I love a good carrot cake, but they are SO bad for you I always feel guilty! My guess is that a normal slice of carrot cake could be 400-500 calories... thats 5-6 miles at a 9 min pace, folks. Yeah, usually not worth it.
Until now! I found a "lite" recipe online and modified it a little further. It's still not "healthy" but I'd like to think it would only take 2 miles to burn it off. :)
Lite Carrot Cake
1 c flour
1 c whole wheat flour
3/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c splenda sugar blend
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 1/2 t ground cinnamon
3 eggs
1/3 c vegetable oil
2/3 c skim milk
2 T lemon juice
1 1.2 c grated carrots
1) Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 pan.
2) Separate eggs and beat whites until stiff. Beat in 1/4c of splenda sugar blend.
3) DIY a healthier buttermilk by mixing lemon juice and skim milk and allowing to stand for 5 min. Milk will begin to sour.
4) In a large bowl combine flours, brown sugar, baking powder/soda and cinnamon, mix until blended. Add "buttermilk" and oil, mix well
5) Add egg yolks, mix well. Fold in whites, then carrots. Pour into prepared pan.
6) Bake 25 min.
7) Cool and frost. I went the unhealthy direction and used cream cheese frosting... it was delicious!
Enjoy!
Our All-Time Favorite Podcasts
5 weeks ago



No comments:
Post a Comment