Friday, April 1, 2011

Back to Work

This is my last week at home with my little guy.  I'm having many mixed emotions... sadness, relief, nervousness, excitement.

I've been reflecting over the past 6 months and am so thankful/grateful for so many things.  I thought I would share a few...

I'm thankful...
  1. To God for his generosity in giving us Isaac.  Just 2 years ago we were told I would probably not be able to get my blood sugars under good enough control to sustain a healthy pregnancy since I'd been diabetic for so long.
  2. For Bryce.  He was so supportive the entire time.  Rubbing my achy feet more than I should admit.  :)  
  3. Friends and family who were also so supportive through the entire process (pre-pregnancy, pregnancy and with Isaac).  We have been overwhelmed with your support.
  4. Doctors at Memorial Hermann.  They helped me achieve the aggressive blood sugar control I needed even when it seemed hopeless.  They monitored my high-risk pregnancy and delivered a healthy baby!  I truly believe I could not get this level of care anywhere else.
  5. My employer who has a fantastic leave of absence program that allowed me to take 6 months off work and return to my same position.  (I should also mention getting away for the countless high risk doctor appointments that always seemed to take 1/2 a day).
  6. For an easy recovery.  Everyone is different, but I had such a wonderful, easy recovery.  I've told many people that had I known it would be so easy, I would have had an elective C-section since we knew Isaac was going to be bigger.  The doctor actually cleared me to run after only 4 weeks, but I waited 6 due to other unrelated issues that are TMI for this blog.  :)
  7. For being able to run again so quickly and painlessly.  Running is not only necessary to keep me healthy but is also a stress reliever.  Not running for 8 months killed me.  I was thankful to return to the pavement after just 6 weeks following a c-section and run an entire half marathon just 3 1/2 months post partum!  I have run 3 half marathons since having Isaac.
  8. To be able to breastfeed Isaac.  It sucks and for me was the most unnatural thing... not going to lie.  I've never experienced the special bond, but I do it because it's the best thing for him.  I don't believe formula is bad or wrong, it's just not as good as breastmilk.  Isaac was on his fair share of formula at the beginning and will again in a few months, but I'm thankful for the breastmilk he was able to receive.
  9. To my sweet little Isaac.  I had no idea I could love a little person so much.  :)

No comments: