Monday, October 18, 2010

Birth Story, Part 2

At this point, it is Wednesday September 29th and I am on bed rest. BTW, I'm not a very good bed rester. :)

Wednesday and Thursday go okay, but on Friday I woke up with severe pain in my right abdomen. The pain woke me up at 6:30 am. I got up and tried to walk around but was bent over in pain and really couldn't move.

With Bryce's help, I got out into the living room and sat on the couch for the next few hours and started feeling better. Around 10:30 am I went to take a shower and as soon as I stood up the pain came back along with nausea and dizziness.

I managed to take a shower and then called the doctor. They told me to pack my bags and head to the hospital.

We checked in at Memorial Hermann Labor and Delivery triage. My ObGyn met us there and said "I think it's time to say Happy Birthday to your Baby". There were too many issues going on that indicate progressing preeclampsia as well as potential placenta issues. I wasn't supposed to be induced for 2 more days, but ready or not here he comes!

About 10 minutes later (around 1pm), I was walking to the labor and delivery room where we would spend the next 24 hours.

Once I changed into a gown, a nurse came in and started 3 IV's. Yes, 3!!! Yuck!!! I had 1 for the "main line", 1 for magnesium (blood pressure control due to preeclampsia) and 1 for insulin. Since I'm type 1 diabetic and control my blood sugars by an insulin pump, the ObGyn indicated I would probably not be capable of controlling my own blood sugar during labor. Nice... what was I getting myself into?

At about 3 pm a resident came in to start the cervidil. Since I was only 37 weeks, my cervix had literally done nothing to date. It was "high" and "hard" and was definitely indicating my body was no where close to starting natural labor. The cervidil was to stay in for 12 hours, then they would start the pitocin.

I was doing fine in the evening. They gave me an Ambien to help me sleep. I was having regular contractions but they were not painful and I was generally doing well.

At about midnight, I woke up during a serious contraction. It lasted about 5-6 minutes and I couldn't breathe! I yelled for Bryce to get the nurse because I didn't know why this was happening, I hadn't had one this intense before. The nurse came in, checked my cervix and not much had changed. The contraction eventually ended and I could breathe again. They gave me some demerol to help.... and then I felt great. Sort of felt like having a couple glasses of wine. Complete relaxation. :)

At about 3am, they removed the cervidil and checked my cervix. I was a whopping 1 cm but my cervix has softened and had dropped lower.

They waited about an hour, then started the pitocin drip... which was when the fun really started.

The final installment in Birth Story, Part 3. :)

No comments: